Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Feb 13th at 9pm on CBC

There's a story coming up on the 13th on the Fifth Estate. It has to do with an adolescent addiction recovery program that boasts an 80% recovery rate and controversial methods to gain these stats.

I have a feeling I know exactly which Alberta recover center this is. AARC. How do I know about AARC? Well one of my siblings (I have 6), is a graduate from it. My family all 10 of us were a part of her recovery. I was probably the least involved. That's why I prolly shouldn't be the one to type this. But I have to. It did save their life and it brought people in my family together. What ever they are going to say on this tv show I'm not sure if I'll agree or disagree.

It's not just the kids that go through the program it's also the family, parents, brothers, sisters, everyone! They are harsh, restrictive and unfair, they are tough love and it works. I think at the same time it alienates these kids from normal kids but on the same token they chose to do that to themselves. There are a handful that relapse, and pick back up there are also a handful that leave and die on the streets. This is a last resort for most families. But I can tell you from experience that when someone you love the most in life is at that point you reach for anything and everything to save them, to save yourself. It's truly hell for both parties and all involved.

They struggled through this torture, this round about life style and constant movement. No time for manipulations, head games or dances. They finally got to leave and go through school. But those years were pure and utter hell. I lost my family for a lot of it but what can you do, two years to save a life is nothing in the grand scheme of things, and even at such a young age I could see that. I do have to say thank you to Nick for trying to be a support for me through the whole thing. I know it wasn't easy what so ever. I doubt he reads this but if he does. Thank you.

It was one of the hardest times in my life and I wasn't even involved. Maybe that's what made it so tough. But I was supporting myself and going to school and doing what I needed to do to survive. I didn't have the luxury of going to Calgary twice a week and on weekend. I had papers to write a job to go to and school to attend or school to skip. But I am grateful for the program. I don't think I'd have them in my life anymore if it wasn't for AARC.

I also have a step step sibling that went through. I don't have alot to do with him but I know if it wasn't for AARC he wouldn't be here either. So I am quite interested to hear what they say about the program. Check it out if you can.

0 comments:

GODZILLA

rulezors